Monday, November 9, 2009

Is the Internet taking over the Newspaper a bad thing?

A response to "I Might as well Plug the Ethernet cord into my Brain".



I would like to first state that I do agree that the news online will worsen citizen's dependency on technology. Although I don't really agree that this is a bad thing.


I as well do not wish to see the newspaper vanish completely, because I do enjoy reading a printed newspaper compared to reading on a monitor. I also enjoy saving newspapers if there is something important written within that I would like to remember. Technology is most certainly becoming more and more advanced and I believe that we need to become advanced along with it. It is just the way the world works. If we didn't become more advanced with technology our country would just be behind in many ways.

I do agree with the fact that the homepage of newspapers online can be overwhelming at times. Although, I think that many people have become accustomed to the internet and have learned how to not become overwhelmed. Many of the newspapers online, are designed very similar to the way in which a printed newspaper is. Meaning, online you are able to jump from section to section. The sections include, Internationl, National, Obituaries, etc. So, I do believe is it easy to access the information.


According to Stovall, it is much easier and less time-consuming to "broadcast" or "publish on the Web. The Web is also able to handle a wide variety of formats for presenting information. It is also known that most news organizations produce more than they can show or print. Broadcasting is limited by time. Print media are limited by space. The Web doesn't face any of these problems, so soon only the Internet will exist.

Overall, I would like to see the newspaper make is through this struggle, with the online news, but I really don't think that it will. As I stated before technology is advancing and we need to not only acknowledge it but move along with it. It will make our lives easier to move with it. Instead of being left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment