Monday, November 9, 2009

In Respone to: I Might as Well Plug the Ethernet Cord into my Brain

The simplicity and familiarity of the newspaper are two points discussed in "I Might as Well Plug the Ethernet Cord into my Brain" that are common reasons why people dread the demise of the newspaper. Silverblatt's point of view is that people read the newspaper for the following reasons:
  • immediacy and thoroughness
  • local awareness and utility
  • habit
  • entertainment
  • social extension or gossip
Silverblatt's motives can all be applied to getting the news online. The simplicity and familiarity issues can also cater towards Internet news as well, it depends on the individual person. Personally, I find searching for news stories easier than rifling through a newspaper. In addition, I spend great amounts of time online, and I am comfortable and familiar with news websites.

This increased competition is benefiting the reader, while it may be hurting newspaper industries. "Competition naturally breeds better journalism is the credo of many newspaper veterans. And better journalism means an engaged and informed public," according to CNN.

The blog I am responding to, brings up the importance of face-to-face discussions about the news. I don't believe that the reader is less likely to discuss a news story if they read it online, rather than in a newspaper. Readers may actually be more likely to post comments online to strangers, because they feel they can be honest.

Overall, I see attachments to the newspapers a sentimental issue for many people. If newspapers do eventually disappear, people will adapt to and eventually come to embrace online news.

No comments:

Post a Comment